Friday 31 August 2012

Silverlight Maps minus Bing

After reviewing the astronomical prices Microsoft want to charge for the use of Bing maps. I started looking for another solution.

We have a external system developed in Silverlight which used the Silverlight Bing map control. When I signed up with Bing maps I niavely didn't realise that it was an evaluation subscription and after 1 year I got dreaded email informing me that the evaluation period was over.

I immediately found a free mapping service OpenStreetMaps. We replaced the Bing map control with an html overlay trick to display the OSM maps. The downside was adding multiple pushpins, OSM does like being hammered with 20+ pushpins.

Once again I search for another solution until I came accross this Using OSM with Bing Maps control. Works a treat and doesn't require and Bing Map API Key - Kudos to Chris Pietschmann.

No comments:

Post a Comment